DNS management fails

• On a virtual machine on my office computer I am trying out DNS management and I seem to detect a number of problems. When adding a subdomain pma.domain.com I see in /var/log/liveconfig/liveconfig.log error messages like this:

[2016/01/12 20:32:09.846161] [1103|1108] Error while updating zone 'domain.com' (host 'pma'): DNS update failed

The only thing that is written is the standard domain.com.db, but it is not loaded by bind because I also see in /var/log/syslog:

Jan 12 20:25:46 domain named[1720]: zone domain.com/IN: NS 'ns1.domain.com' has no address records (A or AAAA)
    Jan 12 20:25:46 domain named[1720]: zone domain.com/IN: not loaded due to errors.

I added in LC this ns1 subdomain and the A record but since no subdomains are written to any file, this will not help.

This on Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS with LiveConfig 2.0.1-r3988

Please let me know what other information I should provide to debug this.

• I assume this is a "chicken-and-egg" problem. If I understand this correctly, you've created a DNS template with "ns1.domain.com" as nameserver, while the domain "domain.com" didn't have any A record for "ns1" at that time.

The following workaround should help:
    1.) issue "rndc freeze domain.com"
    2.) edit /var/lib/bind/domain.com.db:
    - add A records for your "ns*" subdomains
    - increase the serial number in the SOA
    3.) run "rndc thaw domain.com"
    4.) run "rndc reload domain.com"
    Then wait a moment to let BIND re-read that zone. Check with "dig @127.0.0.1 ns1.domain.com A" if you get the correct A record.
    5.) then restart LiveConfig - this should flush the DNS update queue.

I think we'll have to add a check if all nameserver names used (in DNS templates) are actually available in DNS.

• I did what you said. Result is that I don't see error messages in /var/log/liveconfig/liveconfig.log any longer, but that did no solve the problem yet. Using the "Add sub-domain" button to add pma.domain.com will not update the zone-file (only Apache configuration). Or does it take long to update? I see still an old custom TXT record (was added for testing purposes) in the zone file that should be long deleted. When are zone files updated? Is there a way to accelerate the update frequency for testing purposes?

Also a custom A record like "ns1 A <ip-address> " cannot be added with LC because there is only a TTL, no sub-domain field available.

• Apparently to add an ns1 A record in LC, you need to add the ns1 sub-domain without hosting and with a custom A record to it. Also when a sub-domain is added, it is not clear if this is an internal or external. I think it is external by default and internal only when you add a custom A record.

The work around for the "chick-and-egg" problem is to initially use an IP address in the DNS template and later, when the domain zone is updated with the ns1 A record, replace it with the domain name.

May be you can confirm this and then update the documentation about this?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!