Ergebnis 1 bis 4 von 4
    Erfahrener Benutzer

DNS management fails

On a virtual machine on my office computer I am trying out DNS management and I seem to detect a number of problems. When adding a subdomain pma.domain.com I see in /var/log/liveconfig/liveconfig.log error messages like this:

[2016/01/12 20:32:09.846161] [1103|1108] Error while updating zone 'domain.com' (host 'pma'): DNS update failed

The only thing that is written is the standard domain.com.db, but it is not loaded by bind because I also see in /var/log/syslog:

Jan 12 20:25:46 domain named[1720]: zone domain.com/IN: NS 'ns1.domain.com' has no address records (A or AAAA)
    Jan 12 20:25:46 domain named[1720]: zone domain.com/IN: not loaded due to errors.

I added in LC this ns1 subdomain and the A record but since no subdomains are written to any file, this will not help.

This on Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS with LiveConfig 2.0.1-r3988

Please let me know what other information I should provide to debug this.

LiveConfig-Team Avatar von kk
    I assume this is a "chicken-and-egg" problem. If I understand this correctly, you've created a DNS template with "ns1.domain.com" as nameserver, while the domain "domain.com" didn't have any A record for "ns1" at that time.

The following workaround should help:
    1.) issue "rndc freeze domain.com"
    2.) edit /var/lib/bind/domain.com.db:
    - add A records for your "ns*" subdomains
    - increase the serial number in the SOA
    3.) run "rndc thaw domain.com"
    4.) run "rndc reload domain.com"
    Then wait a moment to let BIND re-read that zone. Check with "dig @127.0.0.1 ns1.domain.com A" if you get the correct A record.
    5.) then restart LiveConfig - this should flush the DNS update queue.

I think we'll have to add a check if all nameserver names used (in DNS templates) are actually available in DNS.

Erfahrener Benutzer
    I did what you said. Result is that I don't see error messages in /var/log/liveconfig/liveconfig.log any longer, but that did no solve the problem yet. Using the "Add sub-domain" button to add pma.domain.com will not update the zone-file (only Apache configuration). Or does it take long to update? I see still an old custom TXT record (was added for testing purposes) in the zone file that should be long deleted. When are zone files updated? Is there a way to accelerate the update frequency for testing purposes?

Also a custom A record like "ns1 A <ip-address> " cannot be added with LC because there is only a TTL, no sub-domain field available.

Erfahrener Benutzer
    Apparently to add an ns1 A record in LC, you need to add the ns1 sub-domain without hosting and with a custom A record to it. Also when a sub-domain is added, it is not clear if this is an internal or external. I think it is external by default and internal only when you add a custom A record.

The work around for the "chick-and-egg" problem is to initially use an IP address in the DNS template and later, when the domain zone is updated with the ns1 A record, replace it with the domain name.

May be you can confirm this and then update the documentation about this?

Lesezeichen